ADAMS John George
AIRD William Thomas
ALEXANDER Hugh MacDonald
ALEXANDER William Grant
ALLEN Frederick Robert
ALSTON Eric Verner
ANDREA John Henry Ernest
ANDREWS Richard Henry Alfred
ANSTEE Ernest Hynson
ANSTEE Herbert James
ARBLASTER David Kitchener
ARMOUR William George
ASHBURNER Clifford William E
ASHWELL James Raymond
ASQUITH Robert Henry
ATTFIELD Sydney Dyson
BALMER Clive Richard
BARKELL Victor James
Griffith Settlers 1912 to 1923
The First 11 Years
"Bagtown", originally a Public Works Department Camp was established in
1911. Eventually became known as "Bagtown", though the early Settlers
preferred the title 'Old Griffith'. Many of the camps were made up of
empty cement bags, left over from the construction of the channels, hence it
became known as 'Bagtown'. Bagtown Cemetery came into
existence after Louis Montague was buried there in May 1912 and was declared a
Reserve on 21 June 1918.
The official opening of the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Scheme by Hon.
Arthur Griffith, Minister for Public Works was on 15 July 1912.
Settlement in the Griffith area as a result
of the establishment of the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area began December
1912. Hanwood was initially called Jondaryan Village and opened up in
The first farms were taken up on 16 December 1912, when twenty four farms were
released. Fifty five farms were released in 1913.
Irrigation water was released on 13 July 1913 and was available at Mirrool
(Griffith) in October of the same year.
View names in Bagtown